Sunday, July 6, 2008

Drop Spindle

Alright, so I tested out the drop spindle yesterday and it was so much fun!  My spindle is a top whorl spindle from Black Mountain Weavers. 


The original roving.  100% wool in a highlighter shade of yellow that my camera hasn't discovered yet.


After drafting.  I probably could have split them into two once more, but as it was my first time spinning I wanted to give myself enough yarn to handle so it didn't fall apart.


In process.  My cat loved this.  I found it was easiest just so spin the thing from thigh to knee and let it twirl in the air and catch it.  This was great fun!


Finished bobbin.  It looked so cool on the spindle that I didn't want to take it off.


I couldn't find a chair to wind it on that was a yard around, but this was 39 inches.  With a little math, the yardage came out to be about 9.



And some more photos that really just kill the color.  My sister has this super camera that I should steal and shoot the yarn with but I can't find it.  

After tying it off, I placed the yarn in a pot of hot water on the stove (minimal touching to keep it from felting) and let it soak for 15 minutes until it lost its memory of being wound up.  Then it was patted dry and hung over a wash basin in the basement with two thin wire hangers to weigh it down, but not heavy enough to stretch it out.  Then it was twisted and set into a skein!  I loved doing this and thoroughly enjoyed learning the process and cannot wait to try it again!  I plan to visit a local yarn shop (first time in Cincinnati!) for a huge puff of roving that I can possibly hand dye and add my own thrills to (feathers?  silk thread?  the possibilities are endless!)


No comments: