Sunday, July 6, 2008

Upandcomings

To organize my thoughts, here is an illustrated plan for my summer.


I have been dying to try one of these illusion projects and alas, stars!  I am going to make a scarf in blue with yellow stars much like the blanket above.  I will borrow the grid to help me with the star shapes.  I am seriously excited about this!


We got the book "Knitting New Scarves" (great title?) from Borders a while ago but still haven't used it.  I spun out my highlighter yellow wool yesterday and alas, produced nine entire yards.  Not enough to make even a cozy out of but we were trying to come up with a project and the cover of the book had the answer!  I will make the above scarf (reversible, yes!) using my precious yellow as the three little stripes in each section.  This pattern is called the "Hourglass Scarf".


I found a project for my California wool / mohair!  Since I have a limiting amount (176 yards total) I needed a project using minimal yardage.  This uses around 90 to 100, which is perfect.  The whole time I was on the trip I was thinking how I would love a pair of wristlets to cover where my sleeves won't go (Northface elasticized sleeves) but keep my fingers free for texting and camera purposes.  I will also use this project to tackle my hatred towards dpn's.  


Remember about that summer goal of making a sweater?  I found one I liked.  "Dolman Top" from "Knit So Fine" (I recently discovered that I could get knitting pattern books from my library.  Duh, Rachel) will give me the mindless knitting I like to do during tv shows but I will learn how to shape dolman sleeves at the same time and ... knit a sweater!  This will be my big knitting project before college.


Last but not least, my library ALSO has "Twinkle's Big City Knits", which is a revolution in and of itself.  The "Hampton Halter" of course calls for Twinkle yarn which I do not have access to, and I'm a poor college-student-to-be, so Carons Simply Soft will be used (like the above Ravelry user).  I am excited to make this!


Okay, maybe the halter wasn't last.  I promised by boyfriend a scarf last year and never got around to it because I couldn't find the right pattern that was masculine enough but not boring.  But, I have found it - the "Striped Illusion" scarf.  I can do it in his college colors or be a little more creative - I'll ask him - but I won't tell what it will look like.  Or maybe I won't even say what it is for?  Hmm.  Either way, he'll finally get a scarf from me before we part before college.

Of course, I still have a Tia vest, Montego Bay Scarf, and My So-Called Scarf to finish first.  We'll see how that goes.  My Montego scarf only has about a skein to go so it won't be long.  I resolved the broken needle problem by putting it on circular needles - which I do not like knitting on because of the cord which always bends the opposite way you want it to - but after another skein and some serious fringe, I can move on.  I finished the left side of my vest today (the back is done already) so it won't be long for that project either!  The So-Called is being saved for colder weather.

That is all for now, sorry for the boring novel I just wrote.  Knitting updates soon, and some highlighter yellow yarn photos next.


1 comment:

emilie said...

dear rachel,

stranded knitting is really easy! we will get together sometime and i will teach you.

love,
emilie